CD release parties are called such for a reason; they’re a celebration for the band or artist, a chance to revel in a mission(/struggle/torture) accomplished, as well as to share that accomplishment with fans. This weekend, dear local music lover, we have several such parties in the span of two days. It’s all coincidence, but it gives you an opportunity to dig into a proliferation of new Springfield music albums like no other in recent memory. It gets rolling with two excellent shows tonight:
* The Nova Heat finally holds its CD release party at The Outland Ballroom tonight. We say “finally” because in reality the band’s eponymous album has been out for a few months now. However, all the waiting for formal release should prove to be worth it. The band will be bringing up a cavalcade of album contributors and past members to jam during the show. Watch for a four-guitar lineup onstage at one point during the show. Not only that, but the newly revamped group The North Decade will perform its first official gig after an impromptu tuneup show or two in recent weeks.
* Underground Blues Division hosts an unusual CD release show for its new album, Lessons Not Learned. This one has an early (7 p.m.) start, as it combines with an art exhibit at Nathan P. Murphy’s of the person responsible for the album’s cover act, Kimmy Bess. Opening act will be Julie and Mike from local covers-plus-originals powerhouse Bender.
* Sounds on the Square returns to Park Central Square after a couple of weekends off with Sunrise Cassette (formerly A Fond Farewell, 5 p.m.), Nigel & The Ghost (6:30), Brother Wiley (7:30) and The Hillbenders (9 p.m.)
* Black Box Revue with special guest Glasnost at The Outland
* Focus! Focus! at The Front Porch
* Shadows Move at Lindberg’s
* The Hundred Hand String Band at The High Life Live Martini Lounge
* G-14 at Patton Alley Pub
* Trash Angels at W.F. Cody’s South
* Pat Pending at Archie’s
* Kevin Friday at The Tipsy Turtle Pub
Tags: ballroom, bender, cd release party, concerts, four four, fourfour, friday, julie and mike, july 10, kimmy bess, live, local, music, Nathan P. Murphy's, north decade, nova heat, outland, Shows, springfield, thefourfour.com, underground blues division